Last week, a giant box arrived from Kelbourne Woolens, packed full of their worsted weight wool, Germantown. Inside were no less than 10 new colors, plus a handful of colors we’d sold out of. We now have 35 shades in stock, including a few marled Germantown Unicorns – enough to warrant a new display!
Kelbourne Woolens Germantown:
- worsted weight
- 4ply, worsted spun
- 100% North American wool
- 220 yards/100g
- $15 each; Germantown Unicorns are $16 each
Germantown is a recreation of a classic wool that had been produced in Germantown, Pennsylvania, under a few different brand names since the mid-to-late 19th century. Made of 100% North American wool, Germantown is a worsted spun, worsted weight yarn with a smooth texture, soft hand, and nice elasticity.
One skein is enough for a hat, and the folks at Kelbourne Woolens have designed one for every month of the year. Even better, every one of these patterns is free to download from Ravelry – look there for an entire Year of Hats!
Here are some more pattern ideas for Germantown:
- “Blanket of Joy,” by Kay Gardiner & Ann Shayne – striped textured blanket
- “Learn to Knit a Log Cabin Blanket,” by Staci Perry – log cabin blanket
- “a cool cap,” by Park Williams – wide-ribbed hat
- “True Crime & Knit,” by Safiyyah Talley – textured hat
- “Citrus Slice,” by Annie Lupton – colorwork pullover
- “Anna Vest,” by Karen Templer – textured buttoned vest
- “Courage Shawl,” by Shannon Cook – 3 color striped slip-stitch shawl
- “Sequence,” by Hailey L. Stanton – 5 color slip-stitch shawl
- “Easy Germantown Handwarmers,” by Courtney Kelly – textured, seamed fingerless mitts
Look for Kelbourne Woolens Germantown in the worsted weight section here at the Hillsborough Yarn Shop! We’re open from 11-5:30, Tuesdays-Saturdays, and also taking orders online for local pickup or shipping.