Meet the newest arrival here at the Hillsborough Yarn Shop: Schoppel-Wolle Zauberwolle.
- sport weight
- marled, self-striping
- 100% merino wool
- 273 yards/100 g
- $23 each
Like other Schoppel-Wolle yarns we’ve carried, Zauberwolle is a marled yarn that slowly changes from one color to the next several yards at a time, so that whatever you’re knitting or crocheting with it comes out striped.
One fun way to use self striping yarn is to combine two contrasting colorways. When two self striping yarns are striped against one another, it creates multiple levels of stripes and gradations of color in the finished piece. The premise is simple but the effect is impressive, and works well with mosaic patterns and stranded colorwork, too!
To that end, here are some pattern ideas for Zauberwolle:
- “The Shift,” by Andrea Mowry – slip stitch bandana shaped cowl
- “Issa Cowl,” by Kate Burge & Rachel Price – mosaic cowl
- “Gamut,” by Lori Versaci – striped shawl
- “Hank,” by Kate Burge & Rachel Price – mosaic hat
- “Stefania,” by Melissa LaBarre – stranded hat
- “Shifty,” by Andrea Mowry – slip stitch pullover sweater
Zauberwolle plays well with others, too – more on that in an upcoming blog post!