Kelbourne Woolens is the source of some of our most popular yarns, beloved for the variety of high quality fibers they produce and the accessible price. Their latest is here at our shop – meet Cricket!
Kelbourne Woolens Cricket:
- fingering weight
- single ply
- 100% merino wool
- 415 yards/100g
- $24 each
Cricket is a lighter weight version of KW’s popular Lucky Tweed, and comes in all the same colors.
Like Lucky Tweed, Cricket is manufactured in Donegal, Ireland, for an authentic tweed look and soft hand.
A few months ago, the folks at Kelbourne Woolens sent us a small ball of Cricket for swatching. I was the lucky knitter who got that job, and gave it a go in simple stockinette, first on a US 4, and then on a US 6 with a strand of Isager Silk Mohair in a contrasting color.
We’re expecting a Cricket pattern collection from Kelbourne Woolens early in the new year, but in the meantime, here are some pattern ideas that are a good fit for this new yarn!
For a single strand of Cricket:
- “Pabaigh,” by Kate Davies – cowlneck short-sleeved pullover
- “Seavaiger,” by Kate Davies – striped dolman-sleeved pullover
- “Childhood,” by Ankestrick – saddle-shoulder, turtleneck pullover
- “Woodfords,” by Elizabeth Doherty – ribbed open-front cardigan
- “Birkin,” by Caitlin Hunter – colorwork yoke pullover with floral motifs
- “Kyler,” by Isabell Kraemer – triangular lace shawl
For Cricket held together with Silk Mohair:
- “Stockholm Slipover,” by PetiteKnit – stockinette vest
- “No Frills Sweater,” by PetiteKnit – stockinette pullover
- “Oslo Hat – Mohair Edition,” by PetiteKnit – stockinette hat with folded, hemmed brim
- “Vuono Hat,” by Ronja Hakalehto – textured hat with ribbed brim
- “Ripple Balaclava,” by Jessie Maed – ribbed balaclava
Look for Kelbourne Woolens Cricket in the fingering weight section here at the Hillsborough Yarn Shop! We’re open from 11am – 5:30pm, Tuesdays – Saturdays; masks required for entry.