Brooklyn Tweed Peerie has been a favorite yarn here at our shop since it debuted in 2018, a soft and bouncy fingering weight merino wool. We were sad to learn that production of Peerie has recently ceased; the folks at BT worked hard to keep it coming over the past few years, but limited domestic supply chain options have now spelled an end for Peerie. Luckily, we still have a nice supply on hand – read on for Peerie inspiration, and come by the shop to get it before it’s gone for good!
Seth Richardson’s recent “Manzanita Sunset, February” cowl pattern caught our eye, a striking slipstitch design for Brooklyn Tweed Peerie.
The pattern comes in two sizes, a smaller neck gaiter and a roomier cowl, and looks equally nice in low and high contrast color combinations. Here are the two colorways shown in Richardson’s pattern photos, followed by a few more I came up with!
Brooklyn Tweed Peerie: fingering weight, 100% American merino wool, 210 yards/50 grams; $17.25 each.
- For neck gaiter: 1 skein each Main Color and Color 2
- For cowl: 2 skeins Main Color, 1 skein Color 2
With its soft hand, bold colors, and superb stitch definition, Peerie is worth celebrating – here are a few more ways to use it!
- “Oslo Hat,” by PetiteKnit – stockinette hat worked with 2 strands held together
- “Lucerne,” by Jared Flood – colorwork hat in 2, 3, or 4 colors
- “Cloudline Hat,” by Jared Flood – marled hat worked with 2 colors held together
- “Soulful Slouchy Hat,” by Tif Neilan – colorwork hat in 4 colors (click here for some colorways we put together back in 2020)
- “Dipyramitts,” by Emily Greene – colorwork handwarmers in 2 colors (click here for some colorways we put together last year)
- “Ensata Scarf & Cowl,” by Amy van de Laar – scarf and cowl with twisted rib lace motif
- “Friday Tee,” by PetiteKnit – striped, broken rib tee in 2 colors
- “Vellichor,” by Andrea Mowry – slipstitch tee in 3 colors
- “Woodblock,” by Emily Greene – textured tee
- “Hello From My Colors Crop,” by Jessie Maed – cropped colorwork tee in 5 colors
- “Navelli,” by Caitlin Hunter – cropped tee with colorwork hem in 3 colors
- “Melange Sweater,” by PetiteKnit – marled pullover worked with 2 colors held together
Look for Brooklyn Tweed Peerie in the fingering weight section here at HYS!