We are thrilled to announce that we are now stockists for Neighborhood Fiber Co.!
Neighborhood Fiber Co. was founded by Karida Collins, a dyer and designer based in Baltimore, MD. The company is so-called because Collins’ 70+ colorways are all inspired by and named for the urban neighborhoods and landscapes in and around Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Photo of Karida Collins © 2021 Neighborhood Fiber Co.
Along with their unique and vibrant colorways, we also admire Neighborhood’s commitment to environmentally-sound practices, justice, equality, and empowerment. In 2020, Collins created the NFC Momentum Fund, a donor-advised charitable fund that has distributed more than $50k in grants to community organizations in the Baltimore community.
Our first Neighborhood Fiber Co. yarn is Studio Sock, a soft, sturdy, tightly plied organic merino wool that’s machine washable for easy care.
Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio Sock:
- fingering weight
- machine washable
- 100% organic merino wool
- 400 yds/4 oz
- $32 each
Studio Sock is perfect for knitting socks, of course – here it is in Laine’s 52 Weeks of Socks, put to beautiful use by designer Sachiko Burgin.
Hand dyed fingering weight yarns like this one are also great for knitting shawls and lightweight sweaters – here are some pattern ideas:
- “Diagonal Mitts,” by Karida Collins, from MDK Field Guide No. 18: Beginnings – garter stitch fingerless mitts knit on the bias
- “Alive & Free,” by Annie Lupton – 2-color striped garter stitch shawl
- “Syntha Socks,” by Laura Nelkin – stockinette socks with twisted/drop stitch detail
- “Studio Sampler,” by Leslie Anne Robinson – 3-color shawl with brioche and garter stitch stripes
- “Pianta Hat,” by Lavanya Patricella – 2 color brioche hat
- “Starflake,” by Stephen West – 2 color shawl with stripes, parallelograms, brioche, and an i-cord edging
Look for Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio Sock in the fingering weight section here at our shop! We’re open for drop-in shopping, no appointments needed, from 11am – 5pm, Tuesdays – Saturdays. Online ordering is still available for local pickup or shipping – thanks for shopping with us!