Colorwork Cardigan: Kate Davies’ “Kaav”
Instructor: Nancy Cavender
Saturdays: April 1, 8, 22, May 13, May 27; 3:00-5:00pm.
Join Nancy in knitting Kate Davies' "Kaav," a cozy colorwork cardigan for colder weather. In Scots, kaav means blizzard, or heavy snowfall.
"Kaav" is worked in the round from the bottom up, then steeked and cut to become a cardigan. It features an allover pattern on the lower body and sleeves and a playful star or snowflake pattern on the yoke. Nancy will guide you through the creation of your own "Kaav" sweater, covering gauge and fit, pattern reading, the colorwork patterns, short rows, and I-cord finishing. We will use a swatch to get comfortable with the charting and to practice cutting a steek.
Experience: This is a large colorwork project, so some experience with 2-color knitting and following detailed charts is recommended. Some experience with sweater knitting will be helpful, but not required.
- Pattern: "Kaav," by Kate Davies, available as a Ravelry In-Store Pattern sale here at the shop.
- Yarn: DK weight nonsuperwash wool in 3 shades; we recommend Kelbourne Woolens Scout, Isager Jensen, Fibre Co. Lore, or Brooklyn Tweed Arbor. Please see pattern for specific sizes and yardage, and allow extra yardage for a large swatch. Be sure to select your yarn and colors well in advance of class so we can be sure to have the quantity you need! We will cast on and begin knitting our swatches in the first class.
- Needles: please bring a US 6 (or the recommended size to get gauge for your yarn) circular needle either 16 inches long or 32/40” long (for knitting the swatch using magic loop). Once you've determined your gauge, you'll need the following:
- gauge-size and below gauge-size circular needles in 16" and 32" lengths
- gauge-size and below gauge-size needle(s) of your preferred type for working small circumferences (i.e. double points or long circular needles if you prefer magic loop)
- 1 gauge-sized dpn (for buttonholes)
- Notions: crochet hook or felting needle for reinforcing steeks, buttons, stitch markers
All materials available to purchase here at the shop.
Class Policy -
- Masks are required in the classroom and in the shop.
- Refunds or store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was unexpectedly closed.
- Refunds or store credits for missed classes cannot be made.